The 2nd Open Call is closed. Thanks for your participation.
we are looking for:
ACTION is looking for ongoing citizen science projects related to any form of pollution in Europe and worldwide, that are primarily carried out online. Successful applicants will receive €20,000 to help deliver a six-month pilot with the help of the ACTION team. The funding can be spent on salaries, equipment, consumables, travel, subcontracting to other entities, and indirect expenditure (calculated as 25% of the total direct costs), in accordance with Horizon 2020 guidelines.
This call is for:
- ongoing citizen science projects looking for support, financial and otherwise, to grow and become sustainable;
- communities interested in co-designing research into pollution in any relevant discipline, from biodiversity and environmental sciences to astronomy and the humanities;
- organisations in the public, private and third sectors exploring the use of citizen science in their work.
is there for you:
ACTION will provide funding for a six-month pilot, alongside dedicated acceleration activities, resources and tools to set up and run the pilot. In a series of workshops you will have the chance to co-design and try out the tools and work together with the ACTION team to tailor the support you need to achieve your goals. You will have access to a community of like-minded initiatives, tackling similar challenges and contributing to common aims.
In addition, ACTION will offer a set of services, tailored to the needs of each citizen science project, including:
- Intensive training at the start of the accelerator on: project design, citizen engagement, data management and preservation, impact assessment and sustainability;
- Online mentoring during the pilot and beyond;
- Tools and infrastructure to host projects and their data according to state of the art IT practices in your discipline;
- Tools and methods to facilitate participatory data collection and analysis;
- Bespoke consultancy on a diverse set of citizen science challenges, including: data quality, data preservation, GDPR, research ethics, motivating participation, citizen empowerment, EDI (equality, diversity, inclusion), public engagement, and impact;
- Promotion via news on the ACTION website and on social media, as well as presentation opportunities at the ACTION conference and other related events;
- Peer learning and networking, facilitated through workshops and online tools.
Any legal entities and consortia established in a country or territory eligible to receive Horizon 2020 grants. Every entity is allowed to participate in one application, either on its own or as part of a consortium.
To be INSPIRED
Have a look at the results of the 1st Open Call.
HOW to apply
Applications have to be made online, in English and consist in a short proposal presenting the idea and the budget required for its realisation, and must include also administrative information and a declaration of honour.
Read the guide for applicants as well as the FAQ
Download the application forms which includes: (a) a short proposal, and b) a declaration of honour
Create an account on the online submission platform
Start your application
Make sure to answer all questions and upload all relevant documents
Submit before the deadline
HOW to participate
More support for applicants
ACTION has scheduled 2 webinars to support applications.
Extra help if you are new to this kind of funding
ACTION offers special support for new applicants. If you would like to be considered for this support programme, please contact us by the end of September, telling us who you are and why you need this support. We will select five applicants to participate in a dedicated webinar. Note that this special support programme will not affect your chances of acceptance into the accelerator.